We may call ourselves by many names: skeptics, atheists, agnostics, brights, freethinkers, nonbelievers, secularists, or rationalists, to name a few. But we join together to advance four important goals:
- Make the World a Better Place
- We aim to show our commitment to human growth and development through service and participation in the community. We believe that we improve ourselves as well as others by acting with altruism and empathy.
- Promote Secularism and Critical Thinking
- Society flourishes in an environment of open, reasonable discussion free from the influence of institutional power. For this reason we fight the intrusion of religion upon government as well as government upon belief.
- Challenge Stereotypes
- Though our numbers are increasing, far too many Americans believe that it is impossible to lead a good and ethical life without belief in God. By being up-front about ourselves, we serve as living disproof of this prejudice.
- Provide Mutual Support
- Life can be very difficult when one’s beliefs are out of step with much of society. Many of us feel rejected by neighbors, employers, institutions -- even family. For this reason, we provide a supportive environment for one another.
We welcome anyone to attend one of our gatherings. In order to become a voting member of South Jersey Humanists, a person must adhere to our bylaws and pay dues.
You can help us spread the word about SJH in New Jersey. Download one of our flyers and post it wherever you can. Please make sure to select "fit" when you print it out (or the bottom may be cut off.) If you choose the pull-tab poster, please fold along the dotted line and cut in between the web addresses to make it easy for people to pull a tab. Thank you!
Download our brochure